UN what to say… and when I read this well-done article, I even wish to say more!
FIRST, let me say that the UN were founded after World War II (1945) to prevent that the world will ever again be exposed to war.
The UN Charta says:
- to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and
- to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and
- to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and
- to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,
AND FOR THESE ENDS
- to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and
- to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and
- to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and
- to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples,
70 years of UN, half a trillion dollars later we need to question ourselves about the REAL achievements: eduaction, hunger relieve and many great achievements, but
Today, we face more wars than ever, the peacekeeping fails everwhere – talking every day about: armistice, wars, hunger, death, terrorism… talking, talking, talking….
While they talk a very dangerous triangle is going to form: Russia, China, Turkey !
Russia supporting Syria by all means, threatening the UN to hell, that no one will intervene, peace-conferences fail one after another, and WE?
We need to testify every day more death, hunger, horrible extermination of the Syrian people, refugee flows increasing every day, people starving of hunger, diseases all over the World, especially in Africa, terrorists and so much more, that its impossible to name all disasters of today.
Could’t the UN think of for example of sustainable agriculture for the world, sustainable food solutions, help to develop one country after another? That would make 70 countries by now!
But if solutions would be made sustainable, the UN might have no job and no power.
Imagine what could be done for the world with the money the UN requires just for their administration every year??? And now we even get information that the UN seems broken? another disaster…!
It seems to me that smaller NGOs, foundations and organizations make much more a difference in sustainable solutions than the whole burdensome UN!